The Next President is…
March 20, 2007
Obviously, this is a wild guess because anything can and will happen in the next 1.5 years. I’m not ecstatic about any of the candidates. Let’s run through the list and pick who might win, not who I like.
- McCain is too conservative and his support of the Surge will kill him. Social conservatives don’t trust him.
- Giuliani was a hated mayor who had one brief, shining moment on 9/11. He’s got so many negatives he’ll implode very quickly. Don’t run, Rudy.
- Romney is an ok guy, but the country is uncomfortable with a Mormon. Also, his sudden flip-flopping on conservative issues loses his previous support and won’t get him any conservative support. A very dumb move.
- Newt is insane.
- Clinton is actually a very good candidate, but she’s got so many negatives the Republicans will tear her apart. Also, do we want another family dynasty? One president per family; sorry Chelsea.
- Obama is also fairly good, though we don’t know much about him. If he had 6 yrs in the Senate, he’d be great. For now, he’s coasting on his celebrity. He’s got a strong team and he’s smart and he’s raising a lot of money. Let’s hope there are no dead hookers in his closet.
- Richardson has tons of experience and seems like a strong candidate; however, he’s got a few strong negatives. He might be sexist. The Rep. can paint him as “soft” on North Korea. But I’m not sure why he hasn’t gotten more attention. As far as I can tell he’s a Hispanic Bill Clinton.
- Edwards has a lot going for him, though his apology for his Iraq vote may make him look soft or wishy-washy. I think he’s too liberal and populist, but it may work for him if the country goes into a mild recession as expected.
The winner is Barack Obama. Second place goes to Hillary Clinton. Runner-up is John Edwards. However, my personal favorite for now is Bill Richardson.